Tuesday, May 16, 2006

yesterday, while driving from victoria to the schwartz bay ferry terminal, i asked my mom to tell me a story about her dad (who died when i was 1). she ended up telling me about every place she lived, probably because that's the easiest way for her to tell it. in the end, it wasn't so much about him as it was about her picking up and moving every few months, but always being excited about it. she's always liked telling stories. and i'd heard a couple of them before. but not all of them.

apparently my grandfather wasn't much of a family man. he did, however like to meet Important People. i'd already known that albert schweitzer was my mom's godfather. i didn't know that my grandfather translated a book for him, and that was the connection between them all. but the better story is how my grandfather was taking the train from ON to Vancouver, and the train got stuck somewhere for a short while, so he walked down the cars until he found the one he was looking for, and went into John Diefenbaker's compartment and chatted with the prime minister for a good hour or more. because he wanted to. just like why they moved all the time. because he wanted to.

interesting stuff. too bad he's long dead. and all of his things are gone, too. would've been interesting to know him a bit more.

also, i kinda climbed a tree on saturday. i need to start climbing trees more, again. if that's not reason to get serious about the physio exercises, then i don't know what is.

also also, had a conversation about how everyone in my family knows that they're right about pretty much everything, and they know that everyone else is wrong. it's just a matter of how we play it out. my mother does it by not hearing the other reasons. my sister does it with some form of logic. daniel does it with silent superiority. david does it with loud arguments. my dad does it by forgetting others' ideas. feel free to fill in my style, but i know i do it too. but i was most certainly right when i said we missed the turnoff!

also also also, i can kick my mom's ass at sudoku. but i didn't gloat outwardly about it. because it's enough just to know that i'm right.

just like everyone else in my family.

No comments: